Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day

It's a good thing for me that Memorial Day is in the spring. The whole concept of spring, rebirth and renewal seem to balance out the sense of loss which accompanies Memorial Day.

I must admit my sense of loss is only vicarious, a kind of empathy for those I know who experienced direct loss from our country's past conflicts. Though I have had many friends and family who served in those conflicts, I experienced no direct losses. Yet I have a deep appreciation for the day.

My father was the youngest of six bothers, all served in WWII. I really can't imagine what my grandparents must have felt. Having fled eastern Europe thirtysome years earlier and now with six of their boys in the service of the American army, some in the very regions they fled. They all came back but they never really talked much about it.

I also remember going to the Buffalo Central Terminal when my uncle on my mother's side shipped off to Vietnam. I remember much emotion that day.

So what is the history of Memorial Day? Google it and you'll find out it basically began during the last years of the Civil War as Decoration Day. And not far from here in Waterloo, NY.

According to this site it was meant as a day of reconciliation. I think we could all use a little reconciliation about now. I think about the past struggles our country has gone through, both internally and externally, and the current struggles we are going through, and I think reconciliation.

I get very disappointed when I witness all the divisiveness being promoted. Has our national consciousness been reduced to one giant American Idol episode, pick A or B? I sincerely hope not. What if I want a little A and a little B?

I'm sincerely thankful for all the sacrifices made by all who have served our country and continue to do so, and I really believe our great experiment is not a waste of time, but it's not over yet.

But it is spring. A chance for rebirth, renewal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home