Monday, June 13, 2005

A Summer Read

Technically it's not summer yet, but try telling that to anyone in the Buffalo area the last week or so. Whatever happened to spring around here?

Anyway, last year I started reading "Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith. I couldn't seem to get into it, so it kinda got misplaced (never really missed) 'till last week. I spotted it on the back porch while bringing my bike in after a ride, just before it got really hot.

Then it got really hot. Since reading is a very practical thing to do on very hot days, I finally got around to reading it. I kicked back on the front porch, in the almost shade of one of the last Elm trees left in Buffalo, but more in the shade of a red maple, and dove right in.

When I finally came up for air I started to have vague recollections of a cheese pizza with one topping. Then I remembered that was the example my economics professor kept coming back to in his lectures. Supply and demand. Rents, wages, profit. Taxes.

On the expenses of the sovereign or commonwealth....the expense of defense, the cost of standing army. The expense of justice, people need to be secure in their persons, property and contracts. Of public works, roads paid for by users. Public education? It's interesting to read something written in 1775 about public education, Mr. Smith's thoughts' ring loud to this day.

All in all it was a very interesting read, albeit a rather repetitious one. It was doubly enjoyable in the current local political climate. Wanting to remain as motionless as possible this past week also helped me get through it. Your mileage may vary.

I suggest an annotated version.

3 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the single most important book I've ever read. I was fortunate in that I read Thomas Sowell's "Basic Economics" first -- it gave me the background to get through Smith.

One single page in that 800 page book explains how wealth is created and that's enough to making the book worth the read.

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi:)

Congrats! You creating a nice place to learn and enjoy some new thoughts over the internet. Thanks.

Regards,
make money fast online

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I like your blog, you can visit my web page if you like.business home opportunity small workhttp://www.moneywebpage.combusiness home opportunity small work

 

Post a Comment

<< Home